Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Opposite of Terror

Nerkygrrl's gramma shared this video with me today.


It actually chokes me up every time I watch it. Nowadays when I think of a group of people carefully orchestrating a surprise at a train station... well... I think of this. The realization that there are people out there (at least in Belgium), committing senseless acts of joy makes my heart swell and my eyes water. Furthermore, it makes me want to be part of it. I know that it's a trick of choreography, but the magic of the event is that you can't tell which bystander is next going to seamlessly joining the other dancers, as if strangers have stepped out of their lives to become part of something spontaneous and wonderful.

That's the sort of universe that I want to live in. One where every person, if they open themselves to it, feels an internal pulse and connection to everyone else. Where, given the right music and the right moment, everybody dances.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I downright wept. I'm a little emotional today anyway, but damn that's beautiful. If you need me I'll be over here booking passage to the parallel universe of spontaneous musical showstoppers.

Bittersweet Sage said...

dbrycegh wrote: "If you need me I'll be over here booking passage to the parallel universe of spontaneous musical showstoppers."

You found a travel agent who can do that? The last time I used a travel agent, she just finagled a better deal on airline tickets for me while I was working in Amsterdam.

Hmm... Amsterdam is only about 100 miles from Antwerp. Maybe northern central Europe is the parallel universe of spontaneous musical showstoppers.

Either way, I'll totally go with you.