Monday, March 1, 2010

Gamers: Dorkness Rising

Brad and I just watched the low-budget gamer movie Gamers: Dorkness Rising. The film deals with a Dungeons & Dragons DM, Lodge, who is struggling with the fact that his gaming group has devolved from role-players into rules-lawyer munchkins. (If you've played any role-playing games, you know what I'm talking about.) The situation is complicated when one of the players introduces his ex-girlfriend, Joanna, as a new player in the group, and she begins to share Lodge's frustrations with the unrealistic behavior of the other characters.

 So we're watching the movie, and we're enjoying it, but I can't shake the fact that I know "Joanna" from somewhere. I finally write it off as a passing similarity to other spunky blonde gaming geeks I have known, but when the credits roll, it all snaps into place. Joanne is played by Carol Roscoe, an old friend of mine from college. Small freakin' world, huh?

By the way, I'm not so much surprised that so many in my circle of friends have found success in theater as I am surprised that so many (OK, two) have done so by making really clever parodies/homages to gaming culture. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Tom Lomell.)

And on a tangentially related note (i.e. films, geekiness, and people I sort of know), Joe Winston, creator of the amazing Chicago public-access cable show This Week in Joe's Basement, seems to have hit the big time with his new documentary What's the Matter with Kansas, which Roger Ebert has slathered with praise. I can't wait to see it later this month.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Sweet, it's available for insta-play on Netflix. Have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I especially liked the way they did the "guy playing female character."

Should've kept better touch with Joe Winston after Special Guest gigged for him a few years ago.

Bittersweet Sage said...

@ Dan: Yeah, I guess I should clarify that Carol is not the fantasy-vamp girl on the front cover.

@ everybody else: If you look carefully at the cover, you'll notice that the guy and the girl are both wearing the same outfit...